Although I risk repeating the same info, I will post more photos of the results of playing with diluted bleach sprayed onto a variety of Fresco chalk paints which had previously been diluted with water and sprayed across Paperartsy Smoothy 240gms card. I love this substrate and virtually use nothing else for all my projects. It can take a lot of wet media without buckling or disintegrating and worked well with the sprayed bleach. I can't emphasise strongly enough that for the bleach to have any effect on the acrylic paints you must spray it on while the paper is still wet.
touch of Bougainvillea. See how the bleach fizzes across the wet paint as it bleaches out the acrylic
paint. This won't work on dry acrylic paint of course, but interesting effect don't you think? I love it. The next step was to 'almost dry' this layer, but while it was still damp, I resprayed the diluted bleach lightly again and allowed the colours to mix, blend and drip. The result is surprising. I thought it would create large white areas where it removed colour, instead it blended the colours, leaving little air bubbles of darker spots or no colour.
I played around with different colours. All my favourites!
The bleach tends to create light and dark patches and a feathering effect. I made several backgrounds in this way. However, on some of the Smoothy card I clear embossed some stamped images first. All my stamped images are from JOFY stamp sets including her minis. I then used the same technique described above but didn't use the heat gun to dry the first layer. I waited impatiently for this layer to almost dry before spraying the diluted bleach for a second time. Once the background was completely dry, I ironed off the embossing ink by placing the Smoothy card between two pieces of copy paper, and set the iron to non-steam, medium heat. The copy paper lifts the embossed image from the card and you are left with some patterned paper you can play with later!
Now whether or not I had the iron set on too high a heat or it's the effect of the heat on bleach, but yellowish/cream patches appeared within the colours. I rather liked this! I prepared some more backgrounds like this using different stamps, then set them aside while I experimented with some Infusions. I knew these would work more easily with the bleach as they are water-based. I sprayed the card with water before shaking various colours lightly across the wet card. I added more water, lots of water, allowing colours to mix, blend and drip before spraying the diluted bleach across the card as before. I then dried this with a heat gun. If I wasn't happy with the result, I just kept adding more water and/or more infusions until I was happy. I love the vintage, grunge effect, very different to the Fresco chalks!
Again, the colours blended well but left sporadic spotting of no colour that looked very wintery and snow-like. Perfect for Christmas cards. Rather than embossing these first, I further removed colour by either spraying undiluted bleach through a stencil or stamping into a prepared 'bleach pad' and stamping all across the dried Infusions background. I made this by folding a couple of pieces of kitchen paper into four, placing these into a shallow plastic recycled food dish, pouring on some undiluted bleach and letting it sink in. Then, when you stamp into this and onto the Infusions background colour disappears instantly. If you do this while the card is still wet, the images will appear whiter. However, as I dried the card first, my images were quite creamy which, I feel, added to the vintage feel.
I finally wanted to try using crayons. After playing around with portfolios, gelatos and crayolas, I had most success with neocolours11. I first wet the card to help blend various colours of crayons with my fingers. I then sprayed diluted bleach across these mixed colours and gently swirled them with an old paintbrush, like this:
The result is a lot paler than the previous two experiments but that's to be expected as the neocolours are water-based so the bleach will remove the colour very easily. I also used the iron-off embossing ink technique on some of these backgrounds and stamped with Archival ink on others.
So, I now had a lot of backgrounds ready to create a lot of Christmas cards. Some of the backgrounds were left as plain backgrounds, especially those that I felt were already 'wintery' or 'snow-like', others I stamped over and 'fussy-cut' the images to layer up.
And finally, the first 14 completed cards, ready for sale at the local, village Christmas Fair. I have a lot of backgrounds to create most of the cards I will need to make this year. I hope you like them. I would love to know you stopped by! Until next time, happy crafting!